Paint Technician (2nd shift)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- Safely perform preparation, painting, and detailing of the rocket under minimal supervision. Coordinate with supervision and Inspection to ensure compliance with internal quality specifications.
- Follow standard operating procedures when using tools and equipment such as dual action sanders, hydraulic lift platforms and paint sprayers. Properly care for and maintain shop equipment and tools.
- Follow standard operating procedures when using sealants, paint strippers and corrosion-preventive chemicals and use protective equipment as required.
- Comply with safety rules and procedures and be alert for unsafe conditions. Address unsafe conditions before putting people or property at risk.
- Assist in defining and enforcing compliance with Paint Shop standard work practices.
- Experience working with solvent-based paints.
- Experience painting car bodies, aircraft, or truck bodies.
- Experience using advanced paint processes and products (lacquers, enamels, epoxies, urethanes, solvent-based, and acrylics).
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- At least 4 years of experience in related paint processes highly desired.
- Familiar with aviation industry.
- Experience applying sealant.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and engineering documentation.
- Use of gravity fed, pressure pot, and airless type spray equipment.
- Must be willing to travel.
- Must be able to climb ladders and stairs and work in small restricted areas.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Must be open to working all required shift hours, including overtime, and weekends, as needed. 1st Shift (5:00am-3:30pm) and 2nd Shift (3:30pm-2:00am).
- Must be able to pass Pulmonary Function Test to obtain respirator certification.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.