Director of Propulsion Turbomachinery
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Director of Turbomachinery
Work with brilliant, passionate engineers to tackle difficult problems and push the boundaries of rocketry. This is the team engineering the rocket engines to take mankind to Mars. Build, lead, and inspire a team of engineers to increase the pace of development to design the most reliable and efficient rocket turbomachinery in the world.
- Design, Build and Test the most advanced rocket turbomachinery ever produced
- Lead and mentor a team of turbomachinery engineers focused on rapid development and execution of design improvements (includes recruitment, performance evaluations, and growth management)
- Own the Merlin and Raptor turbomachinery product families – every engineer at SpaceX assumes profound responsibility for their hardware
- Manage short and long term development schedules
- Collaborate with other propulsion teams to improve processes and efficiency while ensuring smooth product integration
- Develop and train direct reports to enable product ownership and empowered decision making
- Interface with our world-class production team to ensure that designs are successfully translated into the fleet of rockets revolutionizing access to space
- Own and improve test plans in support of our Texas rocket test facility and analyze test results
- Present and prepare status reports and be the ambassador of turbomachinery at SpaceX
- Work closely with commercial and governmental customers to ensure 100% mission success
- Maintain a positive and constructive attitude in the face of technical and non-technical challenges
- Be proactive and forward thinking with respect to team growth and department/company strategy
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 10+ years of professional experience designing, manufacturing and/or developing turbomachinery hardware
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree or PhD in an engineering discipline
- Experience with aerospace turbomachinery
- Experience with Unigraphics/NX, and ANSYS or similar design and analysis software
- Significant hands-on experience with turbomachinery hardware build
- Experience with large assembly configuration control
- Experience with turbomachinery manufacturing and design of manufacturability
- Experience with turbomachinery testing and engine testing
- Experience at a nimble engineering organization or in a highly technical position that required a scrappy, entrepreneurial manner to accomplish tasks with tight time or budget constraints
- Strong desire to mentor and grow employees
- Deep understanding of thermodynamics, compressible and incompressible flow, thermochemistry mechanics, structural design in demanding environments, and/or materials
- System level understanding of liquid rocket engines
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.