Communications System Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
COMMUNICATION SYSTEM ENGINEER
- Simulating/modeling communication systems, working with System Architects, RF engineers, Antenna Engineers, Modem/DSP, and ASIC engineers to partition functions between HW and SW domains.
- Assess feasibility of various designs in support of architecture definition.
- Deriving specifications for the RF and antenna subsystems.
- Evaluate and characterize prototypes.
- Characterize and analyze system performance.
- Assist in the development of test tools / equipment for lab measurements.
- Work with manufacturing engineers on production testing of RF systems.
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering.
- 2+ years of work experience.
- 2+ years of experience with using radio related test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, vector signal analyzers, vector signal generator, network analyzers.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters of Science or PhD in electrical engineering with emphasis in RF/Microwave circuits or communication theory.
- Experience performing analysis and simulation of communication systems.
- Thorough understanding of RF passive and active components.
- Experience characterizing radio performance at microwave frequencies.
- Knowledge of digital communication systems, spread spectrum, single and multi carrier techniques, modulation types such as PSK, APSK, QAM.
- Understanding of electromagnetic propagation and antenna systems.
- Experience in Matlab, SystemVue, Python, C++ or equivalent tools for modeling and analyzing RF systems.
- Knowledge of RF transceiver architectures and digital communication theory.
- RF/microwave design in the Ku-band, K-band, and Ka-band frequency range.
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.