Principal Lead Software Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Principal Lead Software Engineer
We are looking for a talented, creative and driven software leader with a proven track record in leading 20+ person software teams. You will architect, define, design, and lead the implementation of the software for the satellite, customer equipment, Internet gateway stations and ground systems.
The success of this business depends on the quality of the software that you and your team produce. That includes reliability, fault tolerance, throughput, security, and user experience.
If you seek a fast-paced, dynamic environment; if you thrive on solving difficult, fuzzy problems where resolutions have high impact; if you love managing through persuasion and if you love the challenge of building something from scratch, then this position might be your next career step.
- Lead complex software design projects under tight deadlines
- Spend 50% of time writing production software
- Oversee the development process and quality, investigate anomalies and drive corrective actions
- Lead and participate in architecture, design and code reviews, hardware specification and selection, API definition
- Recruit, interview, and build teams of exceptional software engineers
- Bachelors of Science Degree in computer science, engineering, math, or another related science discipline
- Must have 12+ years of C++ and Object-Oriented Design skills
- Must also have 12+ years of extensive experience in leading high performance teams and delivering stellar results
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Advanced degree in computer science or computer engineering is preferred
- Ideal candidate will have played a major role on groundbreaking projects, designs first thought impossible or systems that really pushed the envelope
- Experience leading 20+ teams of software engineers to deliver stellar results
- Experience with security issues associated with distributed systems and large scale consumer internet services
- Strong preference for individuals who have commercial software development experience; everything from big data to gaming to operating systems
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional leadership role
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Able to ramp up quickly on new technologies
- Able to deal with ambiguity
- Passion for advancing space flight and challenging the impossible
- Must be willing to work extended hours and overtime as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.