Sr. Avionics Test Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Sr. Avionics Test Engineer
Our Avionics group works to design, develop, test, analyze and integrate all the electronic hardware and software for our vehicles. This includes but is not limited to: flight software, flight computers, power conversion units, analog and digital circuit boards, FPGA’s, communication system units, guidance, navigation and control as well as enclosure and wire harness development.
- Responsible for development and execution of testing strategies for avionics hardware spanning PCBA board testing, sensor/transducer verification, and full functional testing of an assembled unit.
- Design Verification Test Plans, Test Procedures, and Test Reports against product requirements to maximize Test Coverage.
- Expert with test equipment and measurement techniques to verify and validate product requirements.
- Understanding of electrical schematics and electronics manufacturing to analyze and improve test coverage.
- Work closely with engineers to ensure a testable product is being developed and influence design to increase product reliability and test coverage. Make recommendations for design, process improvements, and data collection.
- Development of test racks/ATEs to be deployed to Production.
- Create automation software to interact with ATEs, Unit Under Test, instrumentation, and production systems to implement test plan in a fast moving production environment.
- Assist Design Engineers with Engineering Validation of designs, specification setting, and test line limits using statistical analysis of data and measurement uncertainty analysis.
- Root-cause analysis of test failures and communicating recommended actions.
- Develop modular, reusable test architectures for manufacturing test and engineering design verification.
- Define and implement project plans, manage milestones and hold reviews to assure reliable test systems are delivered to production.
- Evangelize and drive Design for Test (DFT) best practices and Design for Manufacturing (DFM) with Design Engineers and Manufacturing Engineers
- Find systematic problems impacting First Pass Yield and drive solutions.
- Mentor engineers and propose solutions to Test Engineering as well as driving initiatives which require cross-group collaboration
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical degree required
- Minimum 7 years of experience in Electronics Test Engineering
- Proven track record of holistic test solutions covering PCBA to assembly level.
- Show proficiency developing hardware and software test architectures and frameworks for increased efficiency and reliability
- Experience in developing maintainable object-oriented software solutions
- Comprehensive understanding of electrical engineering and electronics
- Extensive understanding of instrumentation, interfaces and sensors including DMMs, DAQ, Power Supplies, Oscilloscopes, DIO, GPIB, USB, Serial-422, VISA, UDP, GigE, SPI, switch technologies and topologies, accelerometers, RTDs, thermocouples, and 4-20mA sensors.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in electrical
- Understanding of metrology, sources of measurement error, and uncertainty analysis.
- Experience with Python, LabVIEW FPGA, C++ and unit testing/continuous integration
- Familiarity with National Instruments platforms including DAQmx, PXI, RIO, and TestStand
- Understanding and experience in environmental testing such as vibration, shock, thermal, burn-in, and TVAC
- Familiarity with SMT lines and electronics manufacturing.
- Work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.