Build Engineer, Batteries
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Build Engineer, Batteries
Our aim is to design, manufacture, and validate the highest performance, lowest cost, and fundamentally safest batteries in the Aerospace Industry. We’re looking for the right person to bring equal vision, leadership, and execution in the transition from proof-of-concept to rapid and scalable production. This role is embedded within Design Engineering and focuses on Manufacturing, as we believe the hardware design and manufacturing processes are inherently inseparable.
- Perform a hands-on engineering and liaison role between Design Engineering and our Production organization. Move hardware designs and manufacturing process from concept, through validation, and into production.
- Develop proof of concept manufacturing processes, process controls, and in situ tests. Specify equipment, coordinate with suppliers, and demonstrate process capabilities.
- Introduce robotics and automation to reduce labor and maximize quality.
- Design and produce engineering drawings for precision tooling and test fixture hardware for production and test. Interfaces include but not limited to mechanical, thermal, and electrical.
- Troubleshoot and disposition fabrication issues on prototype and production assemblies on an aggressive production schedule. Participate in failure analysis to drive to root cause and implement preventative actions.
- Update and validate designs in response to manufacturing optimization, parts obsolescence, and system requirement change.
- Participate in hardware validation, including the development of vacuum chambers, thermal control systems, battery cycling equipment and fatigue testers.
- Bachelor of Science in electrical, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering.
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience in hardware development, production or test experience.
- Professional experience with tooling design in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing (New Product Introduction) as part of a cross-functional team.
- Demonstrated experience implementing Design for Manufacture and Design for Test.
- Working proficiency with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Demonstrated experience with 3D CAD Modeling Software – (examples: NX/Unigraphics, Solidworks, Catia)
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Masters of Science in electrical, mechanical, manufacturing or materials engineering.
- Experience with epoxy bonding processing including surface preparation, epoxy mixing, and automated dispensing.
- Experience with resistance, ultrasonic, and laser welding.
- Experience with vision recognition tools.
- Basic competency with Python and SQL databases.
- Experience with semi-automated manufacturing and data management including robotics.
- Experience with Lithium Ion Battery acceptance, qualification, and characterization test methods.
- Experience with battery cycling equipment and data management.
- Experience with Vacuum Chambers and thermal control systems.
- Experience with accelerated lifecycle test methods and analysis, including thermal and mechanical testing.
- Experience with non-destructive test techniques including modal (vibration) excitation, dye penetrant, acoustic microscopy, CT-scan, thermography, eddy current inspection, etc.
- Experience with failure analysis techniques including metallographic cross sectioning.
- Experience with material characterization including EDS, XRF, FTIR, DSC, DMA, TGA.
- Experience using NX/Unigraphics software.
- Ability to identify and analyze production process improvements for rate and quality.
- Hands-on engineer with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware.
- Demonstrated capability solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environments within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, marine or automotive industries.
- Work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- Some travel required.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.