RF Design Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
RF DESIGN ENGINEER
- Write or update qualification and acceptance test procedures for radio related space qualified avionics components
- Debug and characterize RF components used for space craft communications
- Evaluate new RF components for future space craft designs emphasizing cost and low power consumption
- Assist in the development of automated test equipment to allow production testing of RF avionics components
- Characterize and analyze radio performance data for passive and active radio components that operate in X-Band, S-Band and L-Band frequencies
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline with emphasis in electromagnetic theory or RF circuits
- Must have at least 2 years of professional experience in RF Circuit Design
- 2+ years of experience using Radio related test equipment such as spectrum analyzers and Network analyzers
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be able to navigate the smith chart and have a very good understanding of transmission line theory and S-parameters
- Must have good understanding of RF passive components such as Hybrid couplers, Wilkinson dividers, waveguide, Circulators, and directional couplers
- RF Design using Agilent ADS or AWR Microwave Office
- Familiar with Mil-STD-1540E
- Matlab experience for analyzing RF systems
- Python and/or LabView programming experience
- Electromagnetic propagation and antenna systems
- Digital communication theory with emphasis on Bit Error Rate and System Noise Figure
- LNA design or RF PA design in the S-Band frequency range
- Experience characterizing radio performance in L-Band, X-Band and S-Band frequencies
- Experience performing analysis and simulation of both linear and non-linear circuits such as phase-locked loops, vector modulators/demodulators, oscillators, mixers, multipliers, synthesizers, low noise and/or power amplifiers
- Knowledge of digital communication systems, spread spectrum, and modulation types such as FSK, BPSK, QPSK, QAM, and OFDM
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.