Sr. RF System Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Sr. RF SYSTEM ENGINEER
We are looking for RF System Engineers of all levels for our Seattle office. The candidate will be part of a multidisciplinary team focused on developing all elements of new high performance wireless digital communication systems from antenna to protocol level.
- Work with Antenna, Modem, DSP and digital ASIC teams to partition communication system functions between HW/SW and analog/digital domains.
- Simulating/modeling communication systems from the perspective of the RF and RFIC team, determining the RF impairments and their impact on the system performance parameters in the full communications system.
- Deriving RF HW specifications for the RF system, RF blocks and in-house developed RFICs.
- Designing compensation and calibration loops crossing RF/RFIC, Modem/DSP and protocol boundaries.
- Work cross functionally to evaluate and characterize prototypes and RF systems.
- Bachelors degree in an engineering discipline with emphasis in RF/microwave, digital communications and/or Signal processing
- Must have previous experience specifying and performing analysis and simulation of systems containing both linear and non-linear blocks such as phase-locked loops, vector modulators/demodulators, oscillators, mixers, filters, multipliers, synthesizers, power amplifiers, ADC's and DACs.
- Must have previous experience in signal processing and DSP/modem design and be able to model and trade off solutions between analog and digital domain.
- Must have previous work experience in digital communication systems, OFDM, spread spectrum and single carrier techniques and modulation types such as QAM, QPSK and APSK.
- Previous experience with radio related test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, vector signal analyzers, vector signal generator, network analyzers.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters degree or a PhD in an engineering discipline with emphasis in RF/microwave, digital communications and/or Signal processing
- 10+ years of industry and/or research experience in RF/microwave circuit design, system design and/or digital communications/modem design.
- Experience in building and modelling RF systems in Matlab/Python, SystemVue or ADS Ptolomy.
- Have specified and developed full communications systems in cellular, cable modem or similar systems.
- RF/microwave design using Agilent ADS, Genesys, HFSS, or AWR Microwave Office
- Understanding of electromagnetic propagation and antenna systems
- Digital communication theory with emphasis on bit error rate and system noise figure
- RF/microwave design in the Ku-band and Ka-band frequency range.
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.