Sr. Modem Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SENIOR MODEM ENGINEER
- Provide expertise in digital signal processing and digital communications systems architecture.
- Provide expertise in performance verification of modem system performance parameters.
- Generate spacecraft and consumer equipment modem system specifications, requirements and test procedures.
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering.
- 7+ years of work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in channel coding such as LDPC, turbo codes, Reed-Solomon or convolutional codes.
- 5+ years of experience in working on communication systems that are multiple access such as TDMA, CDMA and FDMA.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters of Science in electrical engineering with emphasis in communication systems and digital signal processing.
- Familiarity with radio related test equipment such as spectrum analyzers.
- Experience modeling RF and channel impariments such as multipath, phase noise, group delay, fading and nonlinear distortion.
- Expertise in developing signal processing algorithms in Matlab.
- Experience designing multirate digital filter design, implementation and hardware architecture.
- Understanding of link budgets and RF system noise analysis, as well as intermodulation analysis related to communication systems.
- Experience in coherent digital demodulation of waveforms such as BPSK, QPSK, QAM, PCM/FM, APSK, SC-FDMA, OFDM and OFDMA.
- Direct experience in continuous carrier systems and packet based systems that require a burst mode receiver.
- Experience in Digital Pre-Distortion.
- Understanding RF up conversion and down conversion trade-offs.
- Experience with Spread Spectrum modems.
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.