SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRODUCTION MANAGER (PROPULSION ASSEMBLIES)
A combination of lean project management, manufacturing engineering and leadership experience, the Propulsion Production Manager is responsible for up to 120 technicians and the on floor activities of key assembly and/or service work centers. This is a dynamic position that requires the ability to monitor and create actions for key department metrics while managing production schedules, identifying risks and clearly communicating them to key stakeholders. As a production manager, you will lead several complex, multi-disciplinary production teams and projects and will be required to dive into the unique engineering challenges we face daily in building rocket engine hardware.
- Will be responsible for leading and managing a staff of 40+ employees per shift (up to 120 on 3 shifts)
- Manage modification, repair, assembly and integration of production assemblies in order to guarantee achievement of on time delivery and quality targets
- Responsible for managing the complete production process within a predefined area and ensuring safety at all times
- Resolve reoccurring nonconformance issues
- Review work instructions and making change recommendations when needed
- Meet tight production schedules to achieve high rate production
- Responsible for assessing, staffing and vetting the appropriate skillset needed
- Monitor material costs and cost savings
- Identify and set-up of training programs
- Develop, initiate, coordinate, and enforce system policies, and procedures
- Monitor labor hours and overtime, and implement improvement plans and time management with staff
- Capacity planning of equipment and personnel
- Coordinate with Engineering and other departments to minimize production interruptions
- Think creatively and question the status quo while following documentation and maintaining prescribed quality standards
- Develop and assure adequate machine maintenance schedules and back-up spares availability
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field or or 5 years of experience as a manager in a production environment
- Minimum of 6 years in aerospace (airframe, launch vehicle, military) or high volume manufacturing sector
- Minimum of 4 years in management
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production
- Able to effectively communicate with Engineering and Production (verbal and written)
- Excellent concentration and attention to detail with outstanding work efficiency and accuracy
- Schematics: Engineering drawings, circuit layouts, and parts list / Cable Harnesses: wiring diagrams, layout drawings, and parts list. Mechanical Assemblies: mechanical drawings and parts lists
- Strong leadership skills
- Safety training and/or safety certifications
- Experience monitoring, tracking and continually improving total cost equation
- Experience with applying lean manufacturing principles, efficiency methods
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments and fast paced work environment
- Able to travel for short and extended trips as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.