Machine Shop Supervisor
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Machine Shop Supervisor (2nd Shift)
The production machine shop supervisor is responsible for all machining processes within the shop. This candidate will be tasked with ensuring all areas of production are meeting corporate goals. Key components of this position will be reporting to machine shop management, troubleshooting production issues, working with machining technician’s, manufacturing engineers and quality engineers to identify and execute process improvements by transforming labor intensive machining processes into more of a lights out scenario. Strong emotional intelligence that can drive change and hold teams accountable, professionally.
- Ensure all work order tickets are completed on time and to specification
- Responsible for mentoring, leading and supervising up to 40 employees
- Supervise the production flow within the machine shop, ensuring safety and the efficiency of entire shop floor
- Work with shop floor, manufacturing engineers and quality teams to resolve reoccurring nonconformance issues
- Review work instructions with planners to ensure shop floor tech’s have accurate and complete instructions and if necessary recommendation changes
- Meet tight and moving production schedules
- Monitor tooling costs, and work with the machining teams to provide overall departmental cost reductions
- Enforce systems and corporate policies
- Monitor labor hours and overtime, approve time cards and assist in the implementation of time management and improvement plans
- Strategizing and tying in daily with the 2nd shift leadership team
- High school diploma or GED
- 5 years in the role of a CNC Machinist
- 5 years in a supervisory role with in an aerospace machine shop
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of Lean Principles and Six Sigma
- Extensive, successful experiences in the trouble shooting of manufacturing operations that include all machining processes
- Successfully experienced in assisting of the conversion of operator heavy machining processes in to lights out machining scenarios
- Successfully experienced in supervising several resource teams totaling close to 40 machinists and technicians along with 40+ machines, simultaneously
- Successfully experienced in leading machinists and technicians to work with CNC programmers, M.E.’s and Q.E’s on processes development and continuous improvements efforts
- Successfully experienced in maintaining high resource utilization
- Successfully experienced in developing teams within a machining cell to create a ratio of (1) machining tech to operate (3) or (4) machines
- Successfully experienced in assisting the conversion of older legacy processes into semi, or full automation with making the building of high quality into the machining processes the end goal
- Ability to read and interpret all blue prints and engineering drawings
- Well versed in GD&T and inspection procedures and processes
- Successfully experienced in working with Production Machine Shop tracking metrics
- Successfully experienced in the ability to work with leadership teams to help develop 1 to 3 year production plans
- Experience in evaluating teams and generating mid-term and annual reviews and presenting to lead persons and technicians
- Must be capable of lifting up to 25lbs
- Must be able to work all shift hours and weekend as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.