Sr. Manager, Procurement -Raw Materials, Castings/Forgings, Special Processing, and Hardware Commodities
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Sr. Manager, Procurement - Raw Materials, Castings/Forgings, Special Processing, and Hardware Commodities
The Supply Chain department is responsible for the sourcing, planning, procurement, warehousing, and transportation of all raw materials and components needed to build our revolutionary spacecraft and launch vehicles. Our mission is to get a quality part in the right place at the right time, every time.
- Manages an annual spend portfolio of $100M
- Leads a team comprised of two commodity managers, eight buyers, five purchasing coordinators, and four supplier development engineers
- Cradle to grave ownership of cost, quality, and delivery by commodity
- Sets the vision for the team and ensures team members are working synergistically to achieve success for new developments or current production issue resolution
- Develops strategic annual operating plans and commodity roadmaps
- Conducts comprehensive supplier analysis, including strategic direction, market and industry position, capabilities and capacity, and risk assessment
- Develops sourcing strategies based on variety of factors, including product, operational, strategic, and financial considerations
- Prepares site budgets in collaboration with headquarters finance team
- Monitors and manages costs to ensure adherence to project-specific budgets or forecasts
- Responsible for reporting performance metrics, identifying improvement plans, assisting with key negotiations, and removing road blocks for the team
- This team leads commercial developments, onboarding of new suppliers, issuing and managing purchase orders, as well as continued performance management of existing suppliers
- Creates, negotiates, and maintains supplier long term agreements and mitigates supply risk, as well as ongoing assessments, such as capacity and capability, to ensure suppliers are in control
- Drives process, as well as part development, and ensures vendor caused issues and corrective actions are resolved in a timely manner
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, manufacturing, business, or supply chain
- 7+ years of experience in purchasing or supply chain management
- 2+ years of direct management experience
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience in raw materials, castings, special processes, or hardware procurement
- Direct procurement experience in the automotive, medical, or aerospace industries
- Experienced and influential leader
- Exceptional analytical and organizational skills
- Remarkable problem solving skills
- Effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and prioritize appropriately to meet customer and company needs
- Excellent customer service skills
- Detail oriented, self-motivated and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment
- Conducts all activities with the highest of integrity
- Travel to suppliers as needed is a function of this position
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.