Sr. Power System Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
POWER SYSTEM ENGINEER
- Provide expertise in the area of spacecraft electrical power system modeling, simulation, integration, and testing.
- Lead electrical power system architecture determination and perform trade studies using simulation tools.
- Analyze and verify vehicle electrical power modes and power budget. Develop load models.
- Perform spacecraft energy balance analysis including photovoltaic and battery modeling.
- Model electrical power system performance and support component requirement generation including power generation, energy storage, and power distribution sizing.
- Define and lead electrical power system verification testing using integrated system test beds. Support design and development of integrated test beds.
- Analyze and track electrical power system key performance metrics during system design phase.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering or science.
- 5+ years of experience in electrical power system modeling, simulation, and testing.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master of Science or Ph.D. in engineering or science.
- Familiarity with spacecraft electrical power systems and knowledge of space environment effects.
- Expertise in using software tools such as Matlab, Excel, and Python for numerical analysis and simulation.
- Expertise in electrical engineering and DC power systems.
- Experience with modeling and simulation of multi-system problems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. The applicant should possess advanced data visualization skills.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.