Mechanical Design Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER
- Spacecraft subsystem integration design.
- Incorporate all Avionics components, harnessing and Payload/RF interconnect sub-systems into spacecraft bus design.
- Support trade space investigations for structural optimization with finite element models and hand calculations.
- Interface with other subsystems owners for design interface requirements, identify and implement design solutions.
- Detail design for spacecraft composite panels, brackets, hardware, machined parts, tcs integration components, and various mechanical components.
- Create detailed design documentation for component manufacture, assembly and test.
- Conduct detailed tolerance analyses, clearance/interference checks.
- Provide ongoing manufacturing support during spacecraft build for assembly, integration, and test.
- Support detailed tracking spreadsheet for system mass properties (mass, CG, MOIs).
- Research options for appropriate materials and surface treatments for mechanical component design to comply with mission performance requirements.
- Support qualification plans (acoustic, vibration, shock, static load tests, thermal tests) to verify structural and thermal margins of safety, and correlation to analysis models.
- 1+ years of work experience.
- Bachelor of Science in aerospace or mechanical engineering.
- 1+ years of experience with 3D CAD modelling and 2D drawing specifications.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of NX.
- Demonstrated FEA skills for structural analysis (FEMAP/Nastran, Ansys, or others), and excellent knowledge of mechanical design principles.
- Experienced with carbon fiber/ aluminum composite honeycomb design / manufacturing techniques.
- Experienced in troubleshooting issues and finding solutions.
- Experienced with structural and/or thermal testing and correlation of test data to predictions.
- Innovative, driven, out of the box thinker, self-motivated to investigate and implement new ideas, and proactive in overcoming obstacles.
- Very strong communication, teamwork and organizational skills.
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.