Software Engineer (Flight)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER (FLIGHT)
This position entails creating software that is used to design, develop, launch and operate SpaceX flight systems. You will engage with other SpaceX engineers to discover the needs of the missions and code highly reliable software which turns the mission into reality. You will be responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software you create, including development, testing, and support.
The software subsystems include software that runs on-board SpaceX rockets and spacecraft, simulations, distributed data management, and analysis tools. The problem domains span embedded, fault tolerant, flight control, web, mobile, cloud and big data computing. The products we develop run on low-power space computing platforms, mobile devices, desktop systems and in data centers.
You are the engineer that other engineers can count on; you are technical, you attack every problem with enthusiasm; you remove hurdles. You are a self-starter, team player, have the hunger to venture into unknown areas and code and make the system work.
- Develop highly reliable and available software systems.
- Design and implement fault detection and mitigation in software.
- Participate in architecture, design, and code reviews.
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints.
- Write high quality structured bare metal, Linux based software for embedded processors (e.g. ARM, PowerPC, x86, etc.).
- Bachelor of Science Degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline.
- 2 years or more of professional experience with C++.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 3.3 GPA.
- Experience in C++ for high performance systems.
- Developed, debugged and deployed software that has been used in real world applications/projects.
- Thorough knowledge of systems, software development, networks, electronics, math and physics.
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization and unit testing.
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical skills and engineering fundamentals.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.