Principal Power Electronics Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRINCIPAL POWER ELECTRONICS ENGINEER
- Provide engineering expertise in the area of design, analysis, and testing of spacecraft power electronics and DC-DC power converters 0.5W to 5kW.
- Lead electrical power system and sub-system level design trades and develop requirements.
- Define and perform electrical power system verification testing and analysis.
- Work with multidisciplinary teams of design, test, and production engineers to create new power electronics hardware.
- Create and maintain schedules for development efforts.
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering or other engineering field.
- At least 10 years of experience in power converter development.
- Experience with DC-DC power converter development.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master of Science degree or Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering or other engineering field.
- Candidate should have working experience generating original power converter designs from requirements and know how to design and verify power supply performance.
- Working experience in current mode control, compensation design, and loop gain measurements.
- Experience working with magnetics and practical design of custom transformers and inductors, including planar magnetics.
- Experience in modeling, simulation, and testing of power electronics.
- Experience with designing and testing power supplies for power quality and EMI/EMC compatibility.
- Passion for hardware simulation and development. Must be a hands-on engineer and excited to work in a fast paced environment.
- Strong grasp of power converter topologies and ability to select power converter architectures.
- Familiarity with spacecraft electrical power systems and knowledge of radiation effects.
- Experience with digital power supply compensation.
- Maximum power point tracker design and development.
- Power supply testing and packaging for harsh environments.
- Familiarity with lithium-ion battery handling, safety, and usage.
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as necessary.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.