Test Operations Engineer- Engines
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Test Operations Engineer- 2nd Stage
At SpaceX, our commitment to reliability begins with design but is realized through exhaustive testing at the Rocket Development Facility in McGregor, TX. In order to eliminate anomalies and ensure maximum product quality, the test team pushes our hardware to its limits in as close to flight like conditions as possible. Test Operations Engineers develop test requirements, conduct tests, operate test article hardware and obtain data to confirm performance.
- Conduct tests to evaluate hardware performance by directing a team of technicians to execute test processes
- Utilize data acquisition systems on console to monitor health of hardware systems (fluid, structural, thermal, electrical), provide reports, document test results and recommend areas for upgrades and improvement
- Develop, review and maintain test plans, procedures and work instructions to ensure compliance with test requirements
- Create software tools to further enhance post-test data analysis
- Identify and characterize system pitfalls and potential hazards then work to resolve such anomalies by collaborating with design engineers on improvements for test stands and flight hardware
- Develop innovative processes to increase testing capability and rates
- Ensure all operations are conducted are performed on time, safely and in a professional manner
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, electrical engineering or other engineering field
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- 3+ years of hands on experience with mechanical systems, structural systems, propulsion systems, fluid systems, flight hardware or test operations
- Knowledge of hazardous systems (cryogenic, flammable, hypergolic, pyrophoric)
- Knowledge of high pressure system design and handling
- Familiarity with instrumentation and control components (pressure transducers, thermocouples, RTDs, strain gauges, accelerometers, flow meters, load cells, relays, solenoid valves)
- Experience using 3D modeling software (Siemens NX, Python, MATLAB, NI LabVIEW)
- Experience reviewing data from anomalies and identifying root cause
- Experience writing and maintaining test procedures and hardware work instructions
- Ability to read, understand and apply technical manuals, data reports, mechanical schematics, electrical schematics and design specifications
- Intermediate skill level using Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, OneNote)
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment, accomplishing tasks with limited resources at a rapid pace
- General physical fitness is required for some work areas, flight hardware is typically built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Physical effort including sitting or standing for extended periods of time, lifting and carrying weight such as materials or equipment (up to 30 lbs.)
- Work performed in an environment with exposure to fumes, odors and noise
- Occasionally exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments (heat, cold, rain)
- Role may require extended hours, weekend work & shift schedule, which varies depending on site operational needs, flexibility required
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.