Lead Test Technician
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Lead Test Technician
- Organize and communicate the daily work assignments to a crew of 5 to 10 technicians.
- Prioritize equipment and manpower as requirements change during the course of the shift.
- Interface with dynamics engineers and product engineering customers to ensure the correct testing methods are used.
- Monitor technician performance and provide guidance and training to maintain maximum performance.
- Responsible for troubleshooting vibration shaker equipment. Interfacing with vendor support techs.
- Responsible for some preventative maintenance activities on test equipment and data acquisition systems.
- Using computer to record work performed on ERP system as well as the use of email (MS Outlook).
- Drive execution of production schedule.
- Schedule risk identification and mitigation.
- Ensure product quality and conformance to specifications.
- Coordinate team needs with support organizations.
- Lead efforts to uncover root-cause and develop permanent resolution on issues found during product builds.
- Identify and lead improvement opportunities for product yield, quality, and cost.
- Maintain area metrics including 5S and efficiency.
- Develop and implement efficiency improvement projects.
- Improve area safety and efficiency through regular auditing and constant scrutiny.
- Personnel training and development.
- Mentor and develop technicians to enable them to reach their full potential.
- Assist with transitioning product from engineering development and initial production to full rate production.
- Associate’s Degree or an additional 2 years of work experience as a test technician.
- Minimum of 5 years practical lab experience performing vibration/shock testing on electrodynamics vibrations systems and using digital vibration control systems.
- SpaceX experience.
- Ability to setup and conduct vibration and shock testing on electrodynamics vibration test systems including setup vibration test fixtures and all control/monitor instrumentation (e.g. accelerometers).
- Ability to use common electronic test equipment such as multi-meters, oscilloscopes and power supplies.
- Ability to use mechanical hand tools, sockets and torque wrenches to setup test fixtures.
- Ability to use MS Office (i.e. MS Outlook – email).
- Able to work productively either individually or as member of a team with minimal supervision.
- Excellent people management skills with an emphasis on coaching and mentoring.
- Highly motivated to readily acquire and effectively use new information and skills in a detailed-oriented manner to effectively fulfill multiple and concurrent assigned tasks.
- Must be able to work overtime and weekends as needed.
- Some travel may be required (up to 5%).
- Repetitive operations, grasping, standing, lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, carrying and use of small hand tools to secure fixtures and units under test to test equipment are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.