Director, Valves Factory
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Director, Valves Factory
SpaceX is seeking an experienced engineering and operations leader with proven expertise and success in standing up complex machining operations. This individual will be responsible for developing a cutting edge machining facility for high-precision launch vehicle and spacecraft fluid components and expanding a team to manufacture core SpaceX technology. This individual will partner with all aspects of our development teams to ensure that we have capability to quickly turn around high-quality, high-precision components for uses in our launch vehicles and spacecraft programs.
- Lead development of machining capability in-house for the SpaceX Valve Factory and coordinate delivery of high-quality precision piece parts to valve factory assembly area
- Supervise, coordinate, prioritize, and schedule all projects required for the Valve Factory
- Maintain close feedback loop with downstream operations to ensure product success and rapid iterations
- Identify, recommend, procure, and install machine shop equipment as well as ensure all equipment is thoroughly maintained and calibrated
- Supervise development, evaluation, and improvements to manufacturing and fabrication methodologies and techniques.
- Recommend and implement improvements and/or modifications in sequence of operations and equipment utilization
- Lead collaboration with headquarters’ machine shop facilities for specialist capabilities and develop outside resources to address capacity and scheduling issues as necessary
- Manage budgets for the machine shop, including operational requirements, equipment and material purposes; oversee cost optimization and cost reduction initiatives associated with fabrication and processes
- Recruit and manage machinists and technicians to support prototyping; assign and oversee technician work; provide machine shop supervision
- High school diploma
- 5+ years of experience in a high-precision prototyping lab or machine shop supervisor role
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s in Engineering
- Master’s Degree in the field of precision machining
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and setting up a machine shop or prototyping facility, including selection, procurement, installation, and commissioning of various tools and systems.
- Experience operating CNC, Conventional lathe and Mill machines, as well as other machine shop equipment
- Demonstrated proficiency in CNC programming (lathes and mills)
- Well versed in GD&T and inspection procedures
- Highly experienced with variety of precision conventional and advance metrology systems (Photogrammetry, CMMs, 3D imaging)
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime and weekends
- Must be willing to travel for short and extended trips
- Must be able to do repetitive assembly operations, such as grasping, standing, lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying
- Must be able to climb ladders and work in tight spaces
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs unassisted
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.