Information Security Engineer, User Systems
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Information Security Engineer, User Systems
SpaceX is looking for an Information Security Engineer to join the Information Security Engineering team to help protect and drive the SpaceX mission. Information drives our business and we must protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems and processes across the enterprise. As a highly visible and dynamic organization, we must also value and guard against damage to our reputation and brand. Finally, it is paramount that we defend against loss of control or confidence in our systems, to guarantee the highest probability of success. This role will focus on the relationship our tools and systems have with our IT teams, user community, and internal security partners to ensure that we provide the best possible protection while also addressing the various needs and concerns of the enterprise. This role will also partner with internal and external customer groups across SpaceX to ensure that the technologies that we purchase and deploy in-house are designed and maintained in a secure way that minimizes risk.
- Design, build, and maintain technology solutions and systems that provide security for SpaceX systems, networks, users, and data. This can include:
- Endpoint, Server, and Virtual Host Antivirus (AV) Products
- Host-based Intrusion Detection Systems (HIDS)
- Password and Secrets Management Systems (e.g. Password Safes)
- Privilege Escalation Technologies (e.g. UAC, LAPS, et cetera)
- Client Logging Tools and Configuration (e.g. AuditD, NXLog)
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for those solutions, maintaining documentation on them and advising others on their underlying technologies and operation.
- Work with security and IT teams to identify threats and problem areas, using that feedback to further strengthen tools and technologies. Materialize this as improvements that lower the prevalence of malicious activity, and decrease the time to remediation.
- Interface with Windows and Linux systems teams to advise on hardening, patching, maintenance, and secure configuration of enterprise systems.
- Communicate status of projects and systems to the Information Security team, management, and partner organizations.
- Create solutions that are scalable, repeatable, maintainable and secure.
- Identify and evaluate risks, and then discover, select, and implement technology and process solutions that mitigate those risks.
- Work collaboratively with other teams, including individuals in information security, physical security, information technology, human resources, legal, software, and others.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, information security, computer science or similar technical field of study.
- Minimum 3 years of information security, networking and/or systems administration experience.
- Experience with a programming or scripting language, such as C#, Python, or PowerShell.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with Linux, Windows, and Mac system internals and configuration standards.
- Familiarity with security product suites such as FireEye, Palo Alto Networks, and others – their offerings and interoperability.
- Ability to interface with vendors to diagnose and troubleshoot problems, as well as consult on architectural design and configuration changes.
- Experience automating work-flows and streamlining processes in the security space.
- Track record of getting things done quickly and with quality.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a dynamic, evolving environment.
- Ethical character and uncompromised integrity.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.