SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
We are a progressive procurement organization pushing the boundaries of traditional procurement reputation and methodologies. We are looking for individuals who can think outside the box to achieve company objectives regarding value and partnerships with our suppliers. Our organization moves quickly, and you must too. SpaceX has the unique ability and desire to influence and shape suppliers to be better with us as we challenge our supply chain on cost, quality and delivery. The purchasing team has aggressive objectives for 2017 that positively impact our product and bottom line. We are looking for the right person who is equipped and ready for these challenges to join our team.
The Senior Buyer position will run independently at the Redmond facility reporting into the Hawthorne management team. We are looking for an individual with an internal drive, strong self-management skills, excellent judgement and outstanding communication skills in order to be successful in this role. The Senior Buyer will be focused on supporting the day-to-day operations and the expansion of the Redmond facility. In addition, this role will be responsible for managing the software category for all SpaceX locations. We expect that the person in this role will be able to manage several projects (including RFP's) at once along while keeping up with the daily tactical activities.
- Strategy and Sourcing: Create assigned category strategies to support software purchases for all locations and continued expansion of the Redmond facility (construction, facilities services, labor, etc.). Recommend and implement sourcing strategy based on variety of factors, including product, operational, strategic, and financial considerations. Collaborate with Purchasing teams across all sites for overarching spend categories. Prepare, issue and analyze RFx packages for one-time projects and ongoing goods and services requirements.
- Supplier Management: Manage and maintain supplier relationships and monitor status of work performed. Analyze supplier performance and negotiate contracts, assess new supplier relationships, and consolidate supplier relationships as necessary. Establish preferred suppliers for categories.
- Stakeholder Management: Develop and maintain key internal stakeholder relationships. Collaborate with the internal customers to understand requirements and roadmaps. Provide solutions to a wide range of problems.
- Analysis: Conduct comprehensive supplier analysis, including strategic direction, market and industry position, capabilities and capacity, and risk assessment. Identify financial impacts of decisions and performance for category managed. Perform business process analysis and develop models to improve cost. Collaborate with stakeholders to define SLA's and KPI's for suppliers and measure the appropriate criteria, such as: delivery of business results, cost reduction, quality and timeliness of delivery.
- Project Management: Identify and execute cost reduction projects including planning, coordinating with stakeholders and project updates. Implement cost-saving programs with suppliers and customers.
- Tactical Activities: Issue purchase orders, ensure timely delivery and resolve invoice issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, supply chain, business, or related discipline
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in purchasing, supplier management, contract negotiations, or a combination of these areas
- At least 1 year experience managing software licenses and/or negotiating software agreements
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Deep knowledge of the EDA software industry
- Experience or familiarity with construction and facilities
- Effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Exceptional analytic and organizational skills
- Remarkable problem solving skills
- Strong technical knowledge and skills in current technologies and applications, especially MS Office Suite.
- Working knowledge of CAD/Revit (view only)
- Ability to learn quickly and prioritize appropriately to meet customer and company needs
- Excellent customer service skills
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment
- Conducts all activities with the highest of integrity
- Position may require long hours (10-12 hour days) and weekend work
- Willing to travel as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.