Quality Assurance Supervisor - Merlin
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Quality Assurance Supervisor – Merlin
This candidate should have an excellent technical understanding of inspection of complex assemblies. The role will involve managing the day-to-day activities for production related quality assurance. Also, will be leading and managing a staff of 25 quality inspectors. The candidate will review work instructions and make change recommendations. Further duties will be responsible for assessing & vetting the appropriate skillset needed. In addition, there will be administration and implementation of quality training programs.
- Supervise shop floor activity, including daily schedules and workflow.
- Resolve nonconformance issues including documentation of associated rework.
- Lead and manage a staff of ~25 inspectors.
- Review work instructions and making change recommendations when needed.
- Responsible for assessing & vetting the appropriate skillset needed.
- Identifying and set-up of training programs.
- Develop reporting procedures and systems such as dashboard status’.
- Monitor labor hours and overtime, and implement improvement plans and time management with staff.
- Accomplishes production results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising job results.
- Maintains work flow by monitoring steps of the process; setting processing variables; observing control points and equipment; monitoring personnel and resources; studying methods.
- Develop and Implement cost reductions processes and efficiency improvement measures.
- Facilitating corrections to malfunctions within process control points; initiating and fostering a spirit of cooperation within and between departments.
- Production risk identification and mitigation.
- Ensure product quality and conformance to specifications.
- Maintain tooling and consumable supply inventory.
- Read, interpret and work from free form drawings as well as from controlled documentation and processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field or 5 years in a leadership position.
- Minimum of 3 years in a manufacturing sector.
- Experience with applying lean manufacturing principles, efficiency methods required.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- SpaceX experience preferred.
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production desirable.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to read, interpret and follow:
- Schematics: Engineering drawings, circuit layouts, and parts list / Cable Harnesses: wiring diagrams, layout drawings, and parts list. / Mechanical Assemblies: mechanical drawings and parts lists.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with Engineering and Production.
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments and fast paced work environment.
- Excellent concentration and attention to detail with outstanding work efficiency and accuracy.
- Must be willing to work all shifts, extended hours and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to travel for short and extended trips as needed. Up to 20% travel.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours min.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.