SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- The aerodynamics team is responsible for developing the external flowfield environments for Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, and future vehicle iterations for ascent and re-entry. This involves analytical and experimental predictions which is integral to designing the vehicle for all phases of flight.
- Brainstorm solutions to novel aerodynamic challenges.
- Create, mesh, run, and post process computational fluid dynamics (CFD) models.
- Lead the review of post-flight data and compare the data to pre-flight estimates.
- Create wind tunnel models and process wind tunnel data.
- Participate in the research and development process for a new generation of rockets and spacecraft.
- Responsible for all external flowfield simulation.
- Collaborate cross functionally with design, development and test groups.
- Bachelor of Science in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or other engineering field with 4 years of aerodynamics experience OR Master of Science in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or other engineering field.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficiency in CAD and creating CFD meshes.
- 1 year of hands-on experience in external, compressible fluid dynamics.
- 4 years of industry aerodynamics experience.
- Experience with aerolasticity and flutter analysis.
- Experience with aeroacoustics analysis.
- Experience with wind tunnel testing.
- Experience with low level coding in MATLAB or Python.
- Experience with venting analysis and internal pressure predictions.
- Experience with internal flow analysis.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.