Fleet Manufacturing Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FLEET MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (CAPE CANAVERAL)
- Directly support the assembly of rockets at the launch site.
- Collaborate with both design and production engineering.
- Ensure that all parts are received and inspected at the correct time to facilitate build schedule.
- Perform time studies to optimize build sequences and reduce overall delivery to launch timelines.
- Create and maintain shortage lists as required.
- Participate in tool design and development.
- Support the integration process of components to sub-assemblies and sub-assemblies to the vehicle to improve the bill of material.
- Developing production procedures/processes.
- Resolve manufacturing discrepancies and interface with the cross functional teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, industrial or production engineering.
- 2+ years of experience in a real-time production environment.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Significant (>50%) of time spent on the production floor.
- Manufacturing and industrial engineering experience (e.g. LEAN, 6 Sigma or equivalent).
- 2+ years of aerospace industry planning experience.
- Experience with complex (>200 pieces) assemblies.
- Strong familiarity with physics, material properties and manufacturing techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to run multiple (3+) high-paced projects.
- Experience writing original work instructions.
- History of implementing process improvements.
- Experience with inventory control and quality standards.
- Experience in taking products through their life cycle processes with particular emphasis on design for manufacturability and design for assembly.
- Ongoing drive for continuous improvement in all aspects of work.
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment, including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Self-motivated and directed with keen attention to detail.
- Experience with metallic or composite manufacturing techniques, processes, equipment, and other processes such as machining, welding, tube bending, structural assembly, etc.
- Experience with Siemens NX and Teamcenter.
- Strong communicator and able to clearly articulate ideas in verbal and written communication.
- Position is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Willingness to perform work activities that occur outdoors in a changing climate, on occasion.
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 30 lbs.
- Must pass Cape Canaveral Air Force Station background check.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.