Supervisor, Materials Management (2nd Shift)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Supervisor, Materials Management (2nd Shift)
Supply Chain is vital to reaching SpaceX’s goals in the production/launch of SpaceX's Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets, Dragon Spacecraft, and future vehicles. This role will involve supervision of a team of hourly employees in SpaceX’s materials management organization – performing the delivery of hardware from drop off points throughout our campus (20+ buildings) and ensuring deliveries are made to the appropriate final destination – whether that be on campus or off campus. Our goal is to become a leader in delivery systems performance with high efficiencies and industry leading customer service, while maintaining a safe work environment that utilizes the latest in applicable technologies. This supervisor will also be responsible for leading and driving continuous improvement throughout all aspects of the delivery systems organization.
- Supervisory – Responsible for 2nd shift operations and team management.
- Leadership – Manage an hourly workforce: assess employee performance, provide positive/constructive feedback, facilitate conflict resolution, and address repeat issues with corrective actions, performance improvement plans or through disciplinary means.
- Role Model – Lead by setting an example, taking feedback from all levels of the organization, and motivating your organization to achieve the highest level of results.
- Safety – Monitor and improve operations, ensuring a safe work environment – with the goal of zero OSHA recordables annually.
- Quality – Ensure business practices are being followed to not only guarantee the storing of product in a quality manner, but also meet those needs outlined in AS9100 and customer flow-down requirements.
- Customer Service – Manage operations that provide industry leading levels of customer service in all operations: recognizing the needs of the business and adapting to support our mission.
- Cost – Lead cost saving opportunities, identifying internal/external cost reductions and optimization opportunities.
- Analyze – Consistently monitor your shift’s metrics to identify problems and produce new solutions to aide in faster, leaner processing of material delivery throughout the Hawthorne campus (and beyond).
- Fleet Management – Assist in the control of a fleet of vehicles, ensuring the necessary preventative maintenance, upkeep and enhancements are made to service the customer.
- Process Improvement – Drive projects and changes that contribute to the distribution center’s ongoing improvement.
- Mentorship – Actively monitor and grow the workforce, ensuring team members are challenged and performing at the expected standards.
- Adaptability – As SpaceX continues to innovate and pave the way for future development, this supervisor needs to be able to adapt his/her team to the ever-changing needs of the organization.
- Monitor and approve employee time keeping records.
- Completed bachelor’s degree from an accredited four year university and 3 years minimum experience in a warehouse supervisory position; or 5 years minimum experience in a warehouse supervisory position.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Completion of a leadership or rotational development program.
- Knowledge of DOT and HAZMAT Transport regulations.
- Lean/6-Sigma experience (Green/Black Belt certifications would be a plus).
- Excellent communication and team-building skills.
- Organized and self-driven, capable of working independently with little direction.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced /cross-functional environment.
- Experience within an aerospace, aviation, automotive manufacturing environment.
- Computer Skills – Microsoft Office applications.
- Lifting up to 30lbs., standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing stooping, stretching and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- Position requires long hours and some nights and weekends.
- Must be able to operate forklift equipment.
- Must be able to work in areas that require using a ladder (20 feet).
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.