Supplier Quality Engineer - Incoming Quality
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Supplier Quality Engineer – Incoming Quality
The Supply Chain team is responsible for the sourcing, planning, procurement, warehousing, and transportation of all raw materials and components needed to build our revolutionary spacecraft and launch vehicles. Our mission is to get the right part in the right place at the right time, every time
The Incoming Quality team is chartered with eliminating the impact of vendor caused defects to SpaceX engineering and production through rapid defect containment, resolution, and corrective/ preventive action. Incoming Quality also supports the Supply Chain team by managing tactical supplier quality activities with operational rigor, providing high service levels to all stakeholders, and allowing supplier development resources to focus on high priority and proactive actions
As a Supplier Quality Engineer with the Incoming Quality team, you would identify gaps and opportunities around the processes used to manage supplier requests for information (SRI), material review board (MRB), and supplier corrective and preventive action activities, designing and implementing improvements that can be deployed across the SpaceX enterprise. You would also support the Quality Specialists that manage these processes, providing quality engineering and technical expertise necessary to solve the most challenging issues. As Incoming Quality activities deal with all areas of SpaceX, you would build an extensive network within design engineering, build reliability, production, and supply chain management, and a deep understanding of SpaceX systems and processes. This experience would enable you to become a critical voice in the development of group and company strategy
To be successful, you will need:
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves and step into chaotic situations, using technical knowledge and quality background to understand the current state and most optimal path forward
- The capability to succinctly communicate status and needed action, often urgently, to all levels of the organization
- An ability to create and refine ideas or solutions to problems, communicating the benefits of change, and keeping related projects on track
- An ability to acquire new technical knowledge, particularly around how purchased components and assemblies integrate into the rocket and spacecraft
- Create, improve, implement supplier quality processes
- Review and understand supplier issues, recommending the appropriate actions
- Analyze supplier quality data and partner with supplier development engineers to drive supplier improvements
- Build relationships with cross-functional groups to identify, reduce and ultimately eliminate impacts from vendor defects
- Develop existing and future state process maps, expanding the scope to cover vendor defect management across all SpaceX sites
- Develop policies, standards, processes, and documentation as necessary to ensure continued success
- Bachelor of science degree in an engineering field
- 2+ years of experience in an engineering, supply chain or quality related field
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in engineering or supply chain
- Good written, oral, and presentation skills
- Ability to operate autonomously and self-direct
- Experience with AS9100 or similar quality management system standard
- Previous experience working with suppliers, corrective/ preventive action systems, supplier portals
- Experience in quality engineering, auditing, quality management system development
- Preferred skills or experience include: SQL, software development & project management, process flow mapping, material planning systems, warehouse management systems, lean production environments, six sigma training
- Position may involve long hours and weekend work as needed
- Position may involve up to 25% travel to suppliers as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.