Manufacturing Engineer, Solar Array
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Solar Array Manufacturing Engineer
- Develop and document processes used in the assembly of low-cost solar panels for space applications
- Work intimately with solder and weld processes for conductor interconnection
- Evaluate candidate processes using tools like PFMEA and Six Sigma
- Conduct root cause investigations in the case of process issues
- Characterize photovoltaic devices (LIV, DIV, EL, IR) and interpret results
- Support the training of manufacturing technicians
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or scientific discipline from an ABET accredited university
- 5+ years experience in high volume, low-cost manufacturing processes
- 5+ years experience with polymeric materials and related processes
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Familiarity with spacecraft solar arrays and the space environment
- Familiarity with terrestrial solar arrays
- Enthusiasm for hands-on prototyping
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Position may require long hours and weekend work
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.