Avionics Integration Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS INTEGRATION ENGINEER
Want to drive innovation…all the way to Mars? As a member of the Avionics Systems Integration team, you will have a unique opportunity to be the bridge between Design and Production; equally anchored in both disciplines with the ability to spearhead change at the inception of product development, through production, to vehicle system checkout.
You will be expected to define new processes, design fixtures/tools, and build Production aids to optimize the build flow. You will put your engineering knowledge to the test, by performing real-time troubleshooting on the vehicle as it goes through the Integration phase. Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of the crew and payload. Are you up for the challenge?
- Perform a hands-on engineering and liaison role between design engineering and our production organization as SpaceX moves new designs from concept, through prototype, and into production.
- Troubleshoot and disposition fabrication issues on prototype and production assemblies on an aggressive production schedule.
- Participate in design reviews to improve design for manufacturability, procurement cost, and quality control.
- Perform manufacturing assessments of new designs and drive optimization for manufacturability and cost.
- Understand vehicle performance at the system level to be able to validate the as-built vehicle is “go for launch."
- Review test data and support anomaly investigation and resolution.
- Create comprehensive engineering documentation and assembly level work instructions necessary for the transition from prototype to production including both written and visual work instructions.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline.
- At least 1 year of experience with system level integration of electronic components, machining, sheet metal fabrication, or system level testing; significant academic projects, internships, and traditional professional experience all qualify.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together.
- Experience working in project teams such as Formula SAE or Hybrid Electric Vehicle.
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills.
- Experience with wire harnesses and associated sub-components.
- Experience installing and troubleshooting various electronic sensors and components.
- Competence with electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.).
- Experience with 3D CAD software (Unigraphics, Solidworks or similar).
- Experience with written and visual work instructions.
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.