Materials Technician- Metallographer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS TECHNICIAN- METALLOGRAPHER
- Provide metallographic analysis and support for materials engineers and responsible engineers
- Perform work and provide reports for various tests including hardness testing, grain size measurements, weld evaluations, and microstructure analysis
- Schedule service contracts for equipment used in a laboratory
- Work with purchasing and other departments to acquire supplies to produce metallographic sections
- Expedite samples across the SpaceX campus between engineers and testing labs
- Maintain and use precision calibrated tools – microscopes, micrometers, calipers, and balances
- Develop detailed documentation of testing parameters, equipment setup, and other possible variables
- Experience working in a metallography laboratory
- Associate's degree in engineering, math, or science, or three years of professional experience in a materials engineering focused role within the aerospace industry
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Able to multitask and rapidly change roles and responsibilities while working in a fast-paced, challenging work environment
- Strong computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Knowledge of etchants, advanced polishing techniques, and optical microscopy methods
- Understanding of microstructure of common aerospace alloys, and basic fractography
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Able to work off-shifts and available for overtime and weekends if needed (this is a non-regular occurrence)
- Able to wear a respirator and other appropriate PPE for etching
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000