Instrumentation Manufacturing Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Instrumentation Manufacturing Engineer (Components)
- Provide design and production guidelines, requirements, and procedures to engineers
- Support new product design reviews with the design for manufacturability, assembly line layout
- Define and develop manufacturing flow for electromechanical components, based on takt, cycle, and lead time concepts
- Lead the setup and operation of work centers for assembly of instrumentation components
- Develop and maintain production processes, tooling, and documentation, using process validation approach to prove consistent process outcome
- Design mechanical tooling, fixtures, and electrical test racks
- Rapidly resolve novel instrumentation challenges
- Troubleshoot acceleration, pressure, acoustic, strain, position and thermal sensors
- Hands-on hardware integration
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, or electrical engineering
- 3 years of hands-on fabrication, assembly, and testing experience
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience identifying and solving sensor signal quality issues
- Experience with environmental test lab equipment such as thermal, pressure, and vibration test equipment
- Hands-on electronic or electro-mechanical experience
- Working experience with calibration processes (understand test uncertainty, non-linearity, hysteresis, thermal effects, etc)
- Expertise in wire-bonding and/or soldering
- Working familiarity with production cleaning processes
- Experience with electron beam and or laser welding
- Experience with Matlab, Excel, Labview, and National Instruments hardware
- Experience with fabrication, assembly, and/or testing
- Position may require long hours and weekend work
- Some travel may be required
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.