SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The SpaceX Solidification Engineer will use solidification and other advanced modeling techniques in partnership with design and production teams to produce high-quality investment cast components. The successful candidate should move easily from theory to application and bring innovative solutions to solve complex material science problems.
- Metal flow simulation for investment castings
- Solidification simulation for investment castings
- Gating design to optimize properties, process-ability, and minimize defects
- Propose part design and process modifications supported by modeling and other data to improve quality, yield, or performance
- Provide materials and process support to investment castings
- Take initiative in problem solving, cost reductions, and process improvement
- Work with design engineers and tooling engineers to take products from design to production
- Define first article requirements, oversee testing, and review results
- Provide hands-on support to manufacturing and test areas when developing prototypes and production hardware
- Bachelor’s degree in metallurgy/metallurgical engineering, mechanical engineering, materials science, or physics
- 5 years of experience with solidification modeling and casting simulation
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD physics, materials science, or an engineering discipline
- Experience with, nickel, titanium, and aluminum casting manufacturing processes including pattern making, die design, process control, product design standards, and quality systems
- Strong knowledge of casting solidification science and casting defect formation mechanisms
- Experience with foundry laboratory controls
- Demonstrated research ability and strong project execution skills with a customer focus
- Knowledge of casting simulation programs and ability to understand and analyze flow and solidification examples
- Strong problem solving skills
- Willing to travel as necessary
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.