Sr. Materials Engineer (Avionics)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. MATERIALS ENGINEER (AVIONICS)
- Lead design decisions related to selection of materials and processes for space applications
- Generate and execute test plans and review materials for compliance to internal requirements or to industry standards
- Support drawing and specification review
- Develop and qualify new materials and processes in the areas of soldering, PCB/PCBA and conformal coating
- Assist in failure analysis and implement corrective actions based on findings using standardized analysis techniques
- Work with supplier quality to identify qualified vendors and test houses to perform testing and manufacturing
- Bachelor’s degree in materials science, materials engineering, chemical engineering, physics or electrical engineering
- 5+ years of experience with electronic materials including encapsulants, solders, printed wiring board materials and conformal coating
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in materials science, materials engineering, chemical engineering, physics or electrical engineering
- Experience with RF transparent materials
- Knowledge of IPC-J-STD-001 Class 3, NASA-STD-8739 series, IPC-STD-2222 Class 3, IPC-STD-6012 Class 3, or industry equivalent
- Experience with destructive physical analysis of components and piece part failure modes
- Extensive experience with the manufacture and assembly of electronic printed circuit boards
- Knowledge of Surface Mount Technology (SMT) processes, such as solder paste deposition, surface mount pick and place, vapor phase solder reflow and aqueous cleaning
- Extensive knowledge of printed circuit board materials and polymeric materials associated with their assembly
- Experience with lead forming tooling and lead plating
- Able to perform technical analysis to determine root cause and corrective actions related to SMT manufacturing process issues
- Experience with lead free components and processes
- Capable of operating with considerable independence while also understanding when it is necessary to confer with cross department engineering and production leads to resolve more complex issues
- Able to work in a team environment with good communication skills
- Able to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, while meeting deadlines
- Strong work ethic and self-starter
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.