Manufacturing Engineer (Turbopump and Injector Assembly)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER - TURBOPUMP AND INJECTOR ASSEMBLY
- Support day-to-day production of the Merlin turbopump and injector assemblies, which includes manufacturing processes such as machining, EB & TIG welding, precision cleaning, NDT, heat treat and assembly
- Analyze and disposition flight hardware discrepancies
- Interface with the quality team on root cause analysis and corrective actions
- Support technical decisions on issues throughout the company
- Create and manage manufacturing BOMs, work instructions, and specifications
- Communicate on a daily basis with supporting departments such as production, maintenance, quality and design engineering to ensure that product is delivered on time to the correct quality
- Work closely with design engineers, internal machine shops, and external vendors to ensure specifications are met
- Bachelor's degree in aerospace, mechanical, systems or manufacturing engineering
- 2 years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Lean manufacturing training and/or hands-on experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in aerospace, mechanical, systems, or manufacturing engineering
- Design for Manufacturability and assembly experience
- Design and analysis (Finite Element Analysis (FEA)/structural/static loads) experience
- Knowledge in automated test systems for pressure and leak testing using instrumentation such as flow meters, pressure transducers and thermocouples
- Experience with capacity modeling, process mapping, and fault analysis
- Pareto Analysis, Root Cause and Corrective Action experience
- Experience performing PFMEAs (preferably leading)
- Labview experience
- CAD experience (NX & Teamcenter a plus).
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) experience
- Position may require long hours and weekend work
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.