Filament Winding Technician
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FILAMENT WINDING TECHNICIAN:
- Perform filament winding operations on tubes and cylinders
- Perform filament winding work according to procedures, engineering drawings, specifications and test instructions
- Conduct filament winding including setup, resin mixing, winding and oven curing applications.
- Program and troubleshoot filament winding machine and software systems
- Provide input to engineers/management with respect to needed or recommended changes on wind patterns
- Perform all work per engineering drawings, as well as both written and verbal instructions from management and work with engineers to develop Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessels (COPV)
- Assemble and ship products on time which meets or exceed specifications
- Perform product inspection and rework as required.
- Provide requested metrics and data of winding operations
- Responsible for the daily cleaning of all winding associated tools and equipment
- When needed, support other production area in COPV liner production, sub assembly and manifold assembly operations
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum of 2 years experience in setting up and operation filament winding equipment
- Minimum of 2 years experience mixing epoxy resin systems using mass ratios
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience using standard mechanical measurement tools (calipers, micrometers, gauges, etc.)
- Ability to follow detailed work instructions on calibration
- Knowledge of different composite fiber and resin types
- Experience with MVP or Entec filament winding machines a plus
- Knowledge using filament wilding assembly tools and equipment
- Ability to review detailed assembly drawings for final assembly of hardware
- Ability to use custom tooling, fixtures, and equipment
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team, meet aggressive schedules, operate and understand engineering drawings and ability to make full use of computer network systems
- Ability to travel to different sites, as needed
- Must be willing to work all required shifts, weekends, and overtime, as needed
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.