Manufacturing Engineer - Moving Assemblies
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER – MOVING MECHANICAL ASSEMBLIES
This position requires an engineer with experience in mid to high-volume manufacturing who can apply their skill set to a low/medium-volume product line.
- Design and implement a medium-volume manufacturing process for a complex moving mechanical assembly. Must meet strict cost and takt-time requirements
- Responsible for determining the budget, project schedule, layout, facilities requirements and number of technicians needed for this manufacturing process
- Responsible for executing against the parameters listed above
- Trade manufacturing methods for the fabrication of assemblies and piece parts while working with design engineers to evaluate design impacts. Must have a strong influence on the mechanical design of the flight hardware!
- Determine when automation should or should not be implemented in the manufacturing process
- Design (CAD) of tooling, fixtures, autonomous end-effectors required by the manufacturing process
- Analyze and resolve manufacturing issues with design and test teams
- Coordinate work efforts with other various other Engineers
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical/aerospace /manufacturing engineering
- Minimum 3 years of manufacturing, fabrication and/or assembly experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be experienced in the development and implementation of a mid to high-volume manufacturing process
- Proficient in layout and scheduling tools
- Proficient in CAD (NX preferred)
- Familiar with all metal joining operations: welding, brazing, match-drilling, riveting, etc
- Familiar with all metal forming and surface treatment operations: extrusion, machining, cutting, passivating, anodizing, etc.
- Familiar with various types of automation - desired
- Familiar with mechanism design - desired
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Familiarity with GD&T (per ASME Y14.5) for engineering drawings and part inspection, including use of dimensional inspection tools
- This is a hands-on position that requires one to be on their feet for up to 4+ hours a day. Will sometimes be working directly with the hardware on the floor and will have to be comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as necessary
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.