Mechanical Design Engineer - Solar Array
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER – SOLAR ARRAY
- Design of various satellite mechanism systems and/or the tooling associated with those mechanisms, specifically for the solar array sub-assembly
- Development of trade studies to identify optimal configuration of various mechanism assemblies / drive systems.
- Create and maintain design models in CAD, from the concept level to detailed design
- Conduct simulation analyses (dynamics, stress, thermal).
- Create part manufacturing requirement documents, drawings, specifications.
- Participate in test procedures and verification plans.
- Prepare detailed content for technical design reviews.
- Build and maintain documentation of bill of materials, mass property models, material lists.
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters of Science degree or PhD in aerospace or mechanical engineering.
- 2 years of experience in design, analysis and qualification of mechanisms and electro-mechanical systems for spaceflight.
- Proficient in 3D CAD Design (NX preferred)
- Proficient in stress, dynamic and thermal analysis
- Proficient in GD&T
- Experience in specifying and qualifying materials and components for space flight (some or all of: motors, bearings, lubrication systems, geared systems, actuators, hold-down-release mechanisms, hinges, dampers).
- Knowledge of electro-mechanical systems including motor drive electronics.
- Experience with DFX.
- Experience in having designs tested in support of flight qualification (vibe, shock, thermal, thermal-vacuum).
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Able to travel to other SpaceX sites as needed.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends when needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.