TPS Technician - Soft Goods Technician
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TPS Technician – Soft Goods Fabricator
- Produce all types of soft goods for production including the following:
- Various types of hatch seals
- Protection blankets
- Engine/Thruster seals
- Straps for parachutes.
- Cutting materials from templates.
- Stitching components by sewing machine or by hand sewing.
- Prepare work to be accomplished by gathering and sorting materials.
- Prepares machine by changing needles and thread; securing attachments.
- Operating industrial size sewing machines including single and double needle, tacking, banding and marrow.
- Approves materials by inspecting materials for flaws.
- Sews materials together by guiding material under machine needle.
- Adjusts machine performance on material by observing machine operation; detecting malfunctions; adjusting settings.
- Maintains quality by inspecting finished product.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs.
- Maintains materials and supplies inventory by checking materials and supplies to determine inventory level; anticipating needed materials and supplies; placing and expediting orders for materials and supplies; verifying receipt of materials and supplies.
- Resolves assembly problems by altering dimensions to meet specifications; notifying supervisor to obtain additional resources.
- Documents actions by completing production and quality logs.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of one year of experience as a Seamster/Seamstress/Machinist in an industrial environment, including factories or fast pace production sewing.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in the use of sewing with ‘industrial sew machines’ such as single and double needle, tacking, banding and marrow.
- Experience creating and cutting different materials and fabrics.
- Experience in the Automotive, Aerospace or Marine upholstery trades.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25lbs. unassisted.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods - 8 hours min
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces.
- Must be able to work all shifts, weekends, and overtime as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.