Avionics Production Quality Supervisor
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Avionics Quality Supervisor
The Avionics Quality Assurance team is looking for a supervisor to lead a team of quality inspectors. This role will involve the management of quality assurance inspection technicians in various areas of avionics production – Clean Room, Electro-Mech, SMT, Test Lab, Harness, Transducers and Solar (ownership areas and scope of responsibility will be decided based on candidate skills and experience). The successful candidate will possess:
- Excellent technical understanding of avionics electronic assemblies and quality inspection.
- Willingness to roll up their sleeves and step into chaotic situations, using technical knowledge and quality principles to understand the current state and determine the constructive path forward.
- The ability to succinctly communicate status and needed action, often urgently, to all levels of the organization.
- Leadership to guide teams in creating and refining improvement ideas, communicating the benefits to influence stakeholders, and execute actions to deliver results aligned to SpaceX Quality Policy.
- Lead a team of hourly quality inspector staff with accountability for team performance.
- Supervise completion of Avionics Quality Assurance activities using SpaceX processes and systems in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- Implement training and certifications as-needed to maintain a highly skilled, flexible, and capable work force.
- Lead RCCA process; root cause analysis, product containment, and recommend and supports the implementation of corrective actions that are necessary to reduce or eliminate recurring non-conformances.
- Responsible for the critical characteristic control within the production process, including the establishment of necessary equipment/layout requirements.
- Bachelors of science in engineering/quality field or minimum of 5 years experience in quality assurance (in aerospace or military or high-volume manufacturing sector).
- 3 years’ experience with one of the following:
- Inspecting solder, crimping, conformal coating, staking, and surface mounted devices accordance with NASA 8739 and/or IPC-J-STD-001, IPC-A-610 standards.
- Wire harness experience in accordance with NASA-STD-8739.3 and 8739.4 and/or IPC-A-620 standards.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Previous leadership experience in a technical field with 6+ direct reports.
- Practical experience with Quality Management Systems standards (AS9100 and ISO 9001) and Lean Manufacturing.
- Experience with applying PFMEA / FMECA methods and statistical process control.
- Excellent people management skills and technical know-how to provide hands-on supervision.
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production desirable.
- Strong knowledge in visual inspection of PCBs, PCBAs, and electronic assemblies including inspection of soldered SMT connections, conformal coating, staking, hardware, mechanical, etc.
- Knowledge of environmental electronics testing (thermal, TVAC, vibe, and shock).
- Experience with NASA-STD-8739 series and/or J-STD-001, IPC-A-610 and IPC-A-620 standards.
- ASQ Certifications (CQM, CQE).
- Strong computer and analytical skills including proficiency in spreadsheets, databases, shop floor management software (ERP/MRP) and related programs.
- Familiarity with Design for Manufacturability, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, and Failure Mode Effects Analysis.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment with flight quality hardware.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs. unassisted.
- Able to travel for short and extended trips as needed. Up to 10% travel.
- Must be able to distinguish colors.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.