Manager, Tooling Operations
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Tooling Operations Manager
- Coach and steer the tooling, maintenance, and flight module logistics groups to think strategically about work practices and methods to optimize time and quality.
- Develop and implement sustainable business processes needed for supply chain, receiving inspection, and nonconforming hardware management.
- Identify opportunities where continuous improvement can be made to the current work practices and ethos and ensure all processes are documented correctly and consistently followed.
- Manage development performance of all direct reports, ensuring all agreed objectives are achieved and every shift has the right skills available and are properly balanced across the shifts.
- Manage via Key Performance Indicators and Annual Operating plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering.
- 3 years of experience in management of tooling or aerospace fabrication/engineering practices.
- 3 years of hands-on experience in a tooling or aerospace fabrication production shop.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Familiarity with managing a team with diverse expertise in a demanding environment.
- Proficiency in supplier management, including outsourcing initiatives, supplier audits, and defect resolution.
- Experience working with production lean principles.
- Ability to bring multiple departments with different priorities together and steer them to a common goal.
- High computer literacy: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Basic programming skills in SQL.
- Experience with statistical analysis using Minitab or similar programs.
- Thorough understanding of SpaceX business systems.
- Experience with Pareto analysis, root cause, and corrective actions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment, both independently and with a team.
- Strong communication and technical skills.
- Detail oriented, organized, and demonstrate a high sense of urgency.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.; standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- Open to working all required shift hours, including overtime and weekends, as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.