Manufacturing Engineer - Metallic Heat Shield
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER - METALLIC HEAT SHIELD
- Metallic manufacturing processes such as multi-axis machining, forming, turning, stamping, waterjet, welding, drilling, NC programming, non-destructive testing, CMM inspection, heat treat, plating, coating, and assembly
- Be aggressive and creative to meet need dates at increasing production rate while reducing cost
- Drive supplier root cause analysis, resolve complex manufacturing discrepancies, and interface with the quality team to implement efficient corrective actions
- Drive materials improvement and inspection criteria for increased reusability and refurbishment
- Fully develop, qualify, and implement future state production systems for all products
- Guide new and existing products through outsourcing vendors, developing stable products and relationships
- Coordinate with internal and external manufacturing teams to improve manufacturing processes and part quality
- Implement design for manufacturing during new product development and improvement cycles
- Create and manage manufacturing bill of materials, work instructions, and specifications
- Bachelor of science in engineering from ABET-accredited institution
- Applicants who will complete their bachelor’s degree by the Spring of 2018 also meet this requirement
- Minimum of 1 year of machining and assembly experience from industry OR collegiate engineering projects such as Formula SAE, Baja SAE, Design Build Fly, etc.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of science in mechanical/aerospace/materials/chemical engineering from ABET-accredited institution
- Hands-on manufacturing experience with high-temp/high-strength metals including Inconel, titanium, Haynes, and/or refractory metals
- Strong mechanical intuition, engineering fundamentals, GD&T, and ability to foresee manufacturing challenges from initial design
- Demonstrated ability developing relationships and influencing cross-functional teams including design groups, production teams, and internal/external vendors
- Experience rapidly introducing process improvements, lean manufacturing principles, and transitioning products from prototype through volume production
- Expertise in design for manufacturability and design for assembly
- Experience writing test plans, procedures, and providing go/no-go judgment
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes including advanced product quality planning, first article inspection reports, detailed inspection plans, source inspection requirements, etc.
- This is a hands-on position that may require standing up to 4+ hours a day and working directly with the hardware on the floor. Applicants must be comfortable with stooping, bending, and standing.
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as necessary
- Ability to travel as needed