SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic) prepreg layup and FGRP (Fiber Glass Reinforced Plastic) prepreg layup
- Wet layup of carbon fiber and fiberglass, plus resin infusion laminates
- Vacuum bag processing, including placement of bleeders, thermocouples, probes and vacuum connections, for oven and autoclave curing
- Cutting and bonding of plastic tooling board materials (epoxy and urethane)
- Work per engineering drawings both written and verbal instructions
- Read and interpret engineering drawings, an understanding for drawing symbols, flag notes and general notes
- Work with engineers to develop composite tooling
- High school diploma or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 3 years experience with layup, bonding or assembly of composites
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Basic machining techniques – use of manual milling equipment
- Reaming and honing and/or countersinking of uniform close tolerance holes in proper sequence while using the correct tool for the job (e.g., rivet gun and bucking bar, drill motor, power screwdriver, C-squeeze, ratchet wrench, nut runner)
- Tool finishing processes – trimming, benching, polishing, sealing, applying release materials
- Installation of potted inserts
- Application and handling of SMP (Syntactic Modeling Paste) equipment
- Refurbishment of metallic tooling – benching, sealing
- Ability to operate a ply cutting machine
- Ability to operate a laser projector to layout laminated assemblies
- Ability to operate a laser tracker
- Ability to operate a large autoclave and/or oven
- Must be able to work all required shift hours, overtime and weekends, as needed
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs., lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Ability to work while standing on lifts and ladders
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.