SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Electrical Engineer (McGregor, Texas)
- Design robust electrical control systems (includes data acquisition hardware, electrical harnessing, grounding/shielding, etc.) by creating electrical schematics and supporting documentation based on fundamental principles and analysis, test/checkout and commissioning results, and industry best practices
- Analyze the performance and integrity of existing electrical control systems to identify designs that fall short of meeting company goals
- Coordinate with test operations and test equipment engineers to implement system design changes within tight timelines
- Provide technical support to test operations and test equipment engineers for avionics electronics and instrumentation (transducers) on automated test stands
- Provide mentorship/training and troubleshooting support for electronics technicians and junior engineers
- Identify new technologies, tools, or processes that can be used to increase the performance and efficiency of the team and its electrical systems
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or engineering degree focusing on automation (Applicants who will complete their bachelor’s degree in one of the previously mentioned fields in December 2017, also meet this requirement)
- At least two years of total experience with electrical systems in one or a combination of the following: involvement with an outside-the-classroom project team, academic research, or professional experience
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Understanding of basic data acquisition architecture and components (e.g., ADC/DAC, amplifier, and filtering principles)
- Understanding of basic circuit theory (e.g., RLC circuits, various diode types, etc.)
- Hands-on, field installation of data acquisition and control systems
- Experience with embedded control systems, high-speed data acquisition systems, and pressure, motion, temperature, and strain transducers
- Familiarity with electrical test and troubleshooting tools
- Demonstrated ability to design, implement and troubleshoot electrical control hardware
- Familiarity with instrumentation including pressure transducers, thermocouples, RTDs, accelerometers, strain gauges, flow meters, load cells, relays, and solenoid valves which are most commonly used in this role
- Experience working with data acquisition systems (DAQ); specifically National Instruments or Allen Bradly (Rockwell Automation)
- Experience with industrial bus protocols such as Modbus, EtherCAT and EtherNet/IP
- Experience with motion control systems, motor controllers, VFDs, servo drives, and process controllers
- Experience designing and operating critical/hazardous systems
- Understanding of computers and programming languages (LabVIEW, Python, and/or C++)
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Ability to work at elevated heights (200+ feet)
- Physical effort with climbing up and down stairs regularly throughout the day
- Physical effort with some handling of light weight supplies or materials (up to 35lbs unassisted)
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, noise and extreme outdoor conditions (heat, cold, rain, etc.)
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends when needed; flexibility required
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.