Welder - Temporary
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Welder - Temporary
We are currently seeking individuals to fill a temporary Welder position at our Texas test site. This position requires skill in a specialized trade in order to complete welding requirements and operational needs. The position is responsible for welding piping, structural steel and other facility equipment/infrastructure.
- Complete welding assignments and procedures for construction and repair of all site structural stands on time, safely, and in a professional manner
- Cut, trim, or scarf metal objects, fit and fabricate metal components to dimensions for building and assembling test site structural forms
- Collaborate with welding lead coordinator to ensure that the proper weld procedure, type of material and rod size are accurately assessed for each welding project
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications to plan welding operations where procedural information is unavailable
- Utilize hand welding and flame-cutting equipment to weld together metal components and parts to assemble structural forms
- Maintain a 6010 bead, and 7018 uphill fill and caps (when unsure of bead size refer to lead coordinate)
- Ensure all welds are complete by buffing off and inspecting the weld for proper tie-ins and pinholes as well as cleaning off all buckshot and slag
- Utilize zinc coat spray on welds when working with existing structures
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits or certifications as required
- Make a continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
This is a temporary position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate.
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 3 Months
- LOCATION: McGregor, TX
- SHIFT: 1st, must be available for overtime and weekends as the schedule varies depending on site operational needs, flexibility is required, typically 50-55 hours per week
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 6 months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 1 year experience with stick, MIG and TIG welding
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 3-5 years preferred, in the use of oxy acetylene, fitting, arc grouping and electronic welding equipment related to the trade
- General mechanical skills in concrete, machining, and alignment/setting is a plus
- Prefer certification in SMAW, GMAW or GTAW
- Knowledge of welding techniques, metallurgy, and engineering requirements
- Knowledge in standard tools, materials, motions, and practices of the welding trade
- Knowledge in ferrous and non-ferrous metals in relating to welding and brazing
- Knowledge in occupational hazards and effective safety precautions of the trade
- Knowledge in arc air procedures and equipment
- Use of precision measuring instruments
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, and lifting up to 35lbs unassisted
- Ability to work on ladders/lifts at elevated heights
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available for overtime and weekends as the schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility is required.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.