Build Reliability Specialist
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
BUILD RELIABILITY SPECIALIST
The Build Reliability Specialist is a key part of every production work center. Our Build Reliability Specialists are always on the shop floor and have a direct impact on manufacturing and quality processes, so we look for technical, hands-on people who are passionate about building awesome products.
Inspection Process Development:
- Together with Build Reliability Engineers, identify areas of concern and implement improvements to inspection techniques.
- Develop and standardize inspection guidelines and criteria.
- Support Gage R&R (Repeatability/Reproducibility) studies to ensure measurement systems are capable for the application.
- Provide training for inspectors on measurement techniques, criteria, and documentation practices.
Evaluate and improve production quality landscape:
- Identify workmanship and inherent to process type issues and take actions to improve.
- Work with production areas to provide training to technicians for repeat failures/escapes.
- Network with internal customers on inspection/workmanship escapes landscape.
- Work closely with technicians, inspectors, build reliability, manufacturing engineers, and production management to identify and lead/support continuous improvement initiatives.
- Support Quality Management System policies and procedure documentation.
Support production flow requirements:
- Review and approve specifications and build documentation for completeness, accuracy, regulatory compliance, and quality objectives.
- Conduct detailed in-process and final inspections to launch vehicle components, using detailed drawings, CAD models, and established processes to verify conformance to design requirements.
- Issue Ticket Review/Audit/Closure
- Support review of all issue tickets in your respective area
- Ensure rationale and documentation of design deviation is captured
Control MRB cage and support containment requirements:
- Lead activity to support containment of all suspect product.
- Provide guidance to quality inspectors, techs, and shop supervisors to assist in quarantining of all suspect product.
- Communicate status of evaluation and disposition to production leadership on a regular basis.
- Ensure dispositions are executed accordingly.
- Manage the physical movement of hardware through the MRB cages and ensure appropriate control of its inventory.
Build Reliability Initiatives:
- Perform additional tasks as necessary to support company and Build Reliability objectives.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in a quality, inspection, or manufacturing role.
- Must be able to read and interpret design drawings and CAD models.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree in an engineering or technical field.
- Dedicated to adopting a Lean approach to quality without compromising safety or reliability.
- Ability to identify and maintain priorities for tasks and projects.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment, both independently and with a team.
- Strong communication and technical skills.
- Proactive, self-motivated, driven, and committed to a team approach.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with AS 9100, ISO 9001, ISO/TS 16949, ISO 13485, or similar Quality Management System.
- Practical experience with GD&T and skillful use of metrology tools and gages.
- Knowledge of quality tools such as Lean principles, Six Sigma, Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action, Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Metrology, Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA), Control Plans, and various problem solving approaches.
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs. unassisted.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and able to maneuver in tight spaces.
- Must be able to work all shift hours, able to work overtime and weekend as needed.
- Must be able to travel for short trips as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.