Automation Mechanical Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AUTOMATION MECHANICAL ENGINEER
In-house equipment development:
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Design custom automated and semi-automated machines, fixtures, and tools to support Satellite development and production.
- Design automation for a variety of products and assemblies using knowledge of electronic controls, pneumatic actuators, mechanical systems, operator interfaces and safety principles.
- Select and size mechanical and electromechanical components such a servos.
- Embedded with flight design teams to drive design for manufacturing.
- Deploy automated processes and equipment into production.
- Set, implement, and maintain schedules and budgets to ensure project completion.
Outsourced automation equipment development:
- Participate in specification creation, release to Vendor and quote technical evaluation.
- Manage suppliers during specification, design, buyoff and installation of automated manufacturing equipment.
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution.
- Characterize and validate new automated equipment and fixturing for deployment into production.
- Must have Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 3+ years of professional experience in a mechanical design engineering role for automation
- Previous work experience with structural analysis including the ability to perform hand calculations
- Previous experience designing mechanical systems using 3D CAD software and 2D drawings complete with full GD&T
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must have experience applying common manufacturing and machining processes where it applies to design (such as welding, machining, assembly, inspection, etc. – where applicable)
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team.
- Strong expertise in design for manufacturability and design for assembly including experience taking products from development design to volume production
- Design experience at a component level and complete machine/systems design.
- Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery and equipment (conveyors, end effectors, nut-running, liquid dispensing, vision system, sensors, etc)
- Experience with designing pneumatics and servo motor systems
- Experience designing tooling and fixtures
- Solid understanding of common manufacturing processes and machines including welding, mills, lathes, manual and CNC; Hands-on experience preferred
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software (e.g. NX/Unigraphics).
- Experience with FEA programs (e.g. NASTRAN / NX Adv. Simulation)
- Experience with manufacturing process development, facility and line layouts, process failure mode effects analysis, and error proofing
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Experience in fast-paced iterative design and manufacturing environments.
- Must be open to working overtime and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.