Automation Controls Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AUTOMATION CONTROLS ENGINEER
In-house equipment development:
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Lay out new industrial electrical control panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics.
- Architect, write, and debug PLC ladder logic with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable. PLC code will interact with subsystems such as conveyors, robots, LabView, machine vision, SCADA and 3rd party equipment.
- Implement (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other manufacturing equipment.
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting.
- Manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic and fluid plumbing.
- Select and size electrical and electromechanical components such as servos.
- Deploy automated processes and equipment into production.
- Set, implement, and maintain schedules and budgets to ensure project completion.
Outsourced automation equipment development:
- Participate in specification creation, release to Vendor and quote technical evaluation.
- Manage suppliers during specification, design, buyoff and installation of automated manufacturing equipment.
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution.
- Characterize and validate new automated equipment and fixturing for deployment into production.
- Must have Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline.
- 3+ years of professional experience in the design and production of automation and controls systems.
- Previous experience with PLC, HMI, & SCADA.
- Previous experience with electrical schematic CAD (EPlan, AutoCad, etc).
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must have experience applying common manufacturing and machining processes where it applies to design (such as welding, machining, assembly, inspection, etc. – where applicable)
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team.
- Process integration and electromechanical / mechatronic systems experience.
- Ladder Logic PLCs, Allen Bradley and Beckhoff experience preferred.
- Field bus networks, serial communication and Ethernet communication.
- Robotic programming and/or work cell design.
- Hands on experience building & commissioning high quality electrical control panels & electro-mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of NEC, NFPA 79, UL508A codes.
- Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (Vision systems, dispense systems, temperature controllers, Nut-Runners, etc).
- Solid understanding of common manufacturing processes and machines, including mills & lathes, both manual and CNC.
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software (e.g. NX/Unigraphics).
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Experience in fast-paced iterative design and manufacturing environments.
- Must be open to working overtime and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.