SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SpaceX is looking for a Buyer who can create, implement, and own construction and facilities purchasing processes. This person must display extraordinary communication and technical skills in order to drive construction and facilities projects forward as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible. In this role, the buyer is expected to develop relationships with internal stakeholders and suppliers, estimate project costs, provide suggestions for value engineering within a changing project environment, and award facilities / construction contracts. The buyer is also responsible for developing long term relationships with facilities service suppliers to provide high quality and cost-effective facilities support on a continuous basis. SpaceX expects that employees in this role are constantly and proactively seeking out opportunities to reduce spend within their category.
We are a progressive procurement organization pushing the boundaries of traditional procurement reputation and methodologies. We are looking for individuals who can think outside the box to achieve company objectives regarding value and partnerships with our suppliers. Our organization moves quickly, and you must too. SpaceX has the unique ability and desire to influence and shape suppliers to be better with us as we challenge our supply chain on cost, quality and delivery. The purchasing team has aggressive objectives for 2017 that positively impact our product and bottom line. We are looking for the right person who is equipped and ready for these challenges to join our team.
- Construction Cost Estimation: Develop cost estimates for construction projects based on preliminary plans and designs from key internal stakeholders. Present estimates for financial review and provide recommendations on value engineering where appropriate.
- Project Management: Responsible for identifying and executing cost reduction projects including planning, coordinating with stakeholders, estimating completion, and project updates. Drive and initiate facilities and construction project planning where necessary to prevent cost overruns
- Strategy/Sourcing: Create sourcing strategies for construction and facilities categories to reduce risk and meet targets for the Purchasing Department. Metrics include, (but are not limited to) payment terms, cash targets, and cost savings. Identify and understand general market trends within construction and facilities labor market
- Stakeholder Management: Develop and maintain key internal stakeholder relationships to create a collaborative facilities and construction planning environment. Communicate, manage, and drive compliance to category strategies among SpaceX internal stakeholders. Provide solutions to a wide range of difficult problems.
- Analysis: Responsible for advanced quantitative analysis to identify financial impacts of decisions and performance for category managed. Perform business process analysis and develop models to improve cost. Collaborate with stakeholders to define SLA's and KPI's for suppliers and measure the appropriate criteria, such as: delivery of business results, cost reduction, quality and timeliness of delivery. Conduct research, perform benchmarking, and gather market analysis for assigned categories.
- Contract Negotiations: Utilize negotiations to maximize value and cost savings benefit while lowering risk.
- Supplier Management: Establish preferred suppliers for assigned category. Identify service areas of need within SpaceX and develop relationships with new suppliers to meet those service needs. Maintain supplier base as needed to allow for proper implementation of bidding procedures and RFPs. Create and implement related management programs to develop, continuously improve, manage the performance of, and monitor KPIs of the supply base.
- Tactical Purchasing Place purchase orders and resolve blocked invoices related to assigned category. Performs assignments independently with instruction limited to results expected.
- Efficiency: Develop and lead efforts to reduce number of transactions and for assigned category.
- Contract Management: Responsible for negotiating and authoring g contract documents with assistance from the Legal Department. Management of contracts ensuring performance of the supplier to contract obligations. Understand interrelationships between contracts and terms while applying creativity and sound business reasoning to interpret application of contract to business needs
- Bachelor’s degree in business, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, construction management, or related discipline
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Technical experience in mechanical, electrical engineering, industrial engineering, manufacturing engineering, or construction project management
- Construction estimating and take off skills (1-2 years of experience preferred)
- Previous experience as construction estimator (1-2 years of experience preferred)
- Experience in a purchasing or supply chain role
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize appropriately to meet internal customer and company needs
- Effective written and verbal communications skills, with strong ability to communicate to all levels of internal personnel
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment
- Conducts all activities with the highest of integrity
- Working knowledge of CAD / Revit (view only)
- Ability to review and understand construction plans and documents
- Position may require long hours and weekend work
- Position will require travel between SpaceX locations in Cape Canaveral, FL, Redmond WA, and McGregor, Texas
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.