Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer - Payload
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. MECHANICAL DESIGNER - PAYLOAD
- Create layout models to support rapid trade studies
- Perform detailed design of structural and electromechanical components and sub-assemblies
- Track and report assembly mass properties
- Create detailed design documentation including mechanical drawings and bills of material
- Guide prototype manufacturing through assembly, integration, and test
- 8+ years of 3D CAD experience in a volume production environment
- Prior work experience selecting materials and surface treatments for mechanical components
- Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficiency performing tolerance analysis for multi-component assemblies
- Proficiency with GD&T
- Proficiency with NX and Teamcenter
- Experience with electronics packaging
- Experience designing composite structures, CNC machined parts, and sheet metal parts
- Experience with painting and plating processing
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.