Propulsion Manufacturing Process Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PROPULSION MANUFACTURING PROCESS ENGINEER
SpaceX is seeking an engineer to assist in the development and operation of a cutting edge manufacturing facility for satellite propulsion systems. The facility will create in-house manufacturing of core SpaceX technology. This individual will be responsible for partnering with all aspects of our development teams to ensure that we have capability to quickly turn around high-quality, high-precision components for uses in our satellite program.
- Product design: collaborate with design engineers to design components and processes that achieve high quality, high rate, and low cost products including time studies, process and equipment cost trades, joint design, and dimensional tolerancing.
- Process development: capture component and process specifications that fully control the manufacturing process. Develop process control documentation including shop floor instructions, machine code, PFMEA, and process control plans. Develop process qualification plans using detailed design of experiments. Conduct process development that fully validates production processes in short time-frames and at low cost.
- Process facilities and equipment development: specify, design, procure, install, validate, maintain, and calibrate process facilities and equipment including any tooling, fixturing, and process monitoring equipment required to product high quality parts
- Process monitoring & improvement: perform routine validation and maintenance of process control documentation to ensure a controlled process. Identify key performance metrics and perform process monitoring, NDT inspections required to demonstrate that the process is controlled, and producing high quality, low cost components on time and with low defect rates. Report on process metrics and drive to improve GR&R, CPK, and PPK. Identify process quality, time, and cost improvement opportunities and develop business justification including time studies, return on investment, and implementation and validation plans. Work with design engineers to develop new and improved processes without interruption to the production line including process development and validation with offsite suppliers and facilities.
- Bachelor of Science in engineering
- 5+ years of experience with process development and management of complex processes
- Previous work experience in one or more of the following areas:
- high tolerance laser welding of small metal parts
- ceramic to metallic vacuum brazing
- manufacturing of composite pressure vessels including winding and curing
- cleaning, assembly, and wiring of miniature high temperature components including metals and ceramics
- joint design and tolerancing related to one or more of the above process areas
- development of process specifications
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in process engineering
- Proficiency in process control techniques of Minitab, SPC, DoE, CPK/PPK, MSA
- Lean / Six Sigma training
- Development of process specifications
- Design of experiments for process validation and control
- Experience setting up and operating state of the process equipment related to the above process areas
- Process documentation in mixed human and machine readable forms
- Process monitoring including statistical process control and NDT
- Experience with rapid process development including onsite and offsite
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Must be willing to travel for short and extended trips
- Must be able to do repetitive assembly operations, such as grasping, standing, lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying
- Must be able to climb ladders and work in tight spaces
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs unassisted
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.