Senior Software Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Join the team that writes code to ensure correctness and performance of the flight software systems that control our launch vehicles and spacecraft. You will own all aspects of software testing, from experimental and development systems through final verification and certification of software for launch. The unforgiving environments of launch and space travel require flawless execution of the vehicle software. Your creativity and relentless commitment to quality will be a key component to building the safest and most reliable space vehicles.
- Develop, execute, and maintain test plans and test code for the software systems that fly our rockets and spacecraft
- Invent new tools that enable more frequent and reliable software deployment, test execution, and data analysis as part of a continuous integration and release system
- Analyze test results and bugs that require in-depth investigations
- Develop tools that allow for test execution across multiple environments: virtualized hardware, real hardware-in-the-loop, and even vehicle-in-the-loop testing
- Hands-on integration and troubleshooting of flight hardware/software systems
- Occasional travel to launch sites and customer sites for testing and/or operations
- Connect our simulator to the Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft, and execute final mission test prior to launch
- Joint testing at NASA’s high-fidelity International Space Station software and avionics test facility
- Test and operate chase plane video tracking system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcTOTeoaaf
- B.S. degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering
- 6+ years of experience in software engineering (project work or industry)
- Must have 2+ years of experience with a scripting language, such as Python, Perl, or Ruby
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Fluency in Linux, including:
- Bash shell scripting
- Network troubleshooting
- Performance analysis and debugging (strace, ftrace, etc.)
- Experience building or working with real-time embedded systems
Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.